EDM, short for Electronic Dance Music, is an obscure concept for a lot of people. It covers a broad range of genres and styles, but to many, as a whole it's unappetizing. I live for fucking EDM. I used to be one of those people who hated it--the type of person that would use the blanket term "techno" in regards to any thing electronic with a fast, 4/4 beat. I couldn't understand it. I thought it was for kids on ecstasy or weirdos that were into anime.
But then...I went to a rave in 2006 and was suddenly a believer. I knew this was the type of music for me. It moves me in a way that other music can't. Although lyrical, alternative music still holds an equally special place in my heart, EDM is my passion. I live for EDM. All of it.
Since this is my blog and I can post whatever the fuck I want, I decided to use this post to document several different types of EDM songs that have struck an emotional chord with me in the past few years. Many people may not get it, but I certainly hope that anyone with a love for music can appreciate the time and creativity that goes into producing each individual track.
Dubstep/Grime - I can't get enough of this. I thought it would get old, but it never did. I could probably make an individual post JUST about dubstep songs that have had a major effect on me in the past few years. Deep, wobbly bass that you can feel in your chest. Recently:
Drum and Bass - I used to be wayyyy more into drum and bass, but it still gets my heart going when I hear a good track. Pretty much all about the drums...and the bass...that's cool.
Electro - really into electro lately. I can't help but want to smile and dance while jamming this shit. The musical "drops" in electro are what make it amazing, and these two songs are the epitome of the perfect drop.
(listen from 0:40-1:13, notice the subtle build up and then the sudden drop/tempo change at 1:11. Boom! This is a dancefloor filler.)
(this is what I call "fuck-me electro" because of the lyrical content as well as the tempo that is reminiscent of the tempo of rough, fast sex. ***Don't miss 4:03 onward, seriously. Listen.*** and the various other fantastic samples in this, ie "that's the money shot right there!" Filth.)
House/Progressive/Tech/Hard House/Fidget etc. - There are a million variations of house, and each one has some quality shit.
(Tech house...deadmau5 is the EPIC of all epic of epicland. Brilliant producer. Met him on 7/17 :D This song changed my life.)
(This one also changed my life)
Glitch hop - A newer genre, but nonetheless one of my favorites. Hip-hop sampling and dubstep influence mixed with massive, lazer-y, glitch-y, hard-hitting beats and basslines. Lots of chill instrumentals as well as dirty remixes. Yes, thank you. The perfect music to sit and smoke bowls to.
Trance- It's hard to believe, but yes, I used to be into trance. Ugh. I can't say I really enjoy listening to it anymore, but for a while Tiesto was my motherfuckin nigga.
Hardstyle/Jumpstyle/Gabber - This is one that most people fail to understand. Also a common misconception is that this is "rave" music (this is never played at raves. EVER.) This shit is hardcore. I used to dig it, but now I think it's only appropriate when on serious uppers (which I never am). 180 beats per minute is extremely fucking fast, but it was enough to get us PUMPED up for raves back in '07.
(both these songs were my SHIT yo. don't miss the second one. lololol)
Psychedelic/Psytrance/Goa - Still good for tripping. Not much of party music. Old school Infected Mushroom started it all for me. Trippy Israeli motherfuckers (whom are FANTASTIC live)
More to come.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment