I'm going to some strange traffic school in New York City, but I'm on a giant body of water, possibly the ocean. It's futuristic. Once inside (with my parents) I see an old redhead friend from elementary school named Maura. She approaches me with her father, who's in a disheveled business suit. He says, "Hey, aren't you..." and trails off. I laugh, and say yes. Maura is nearly half my size, and looks "short and stout" and disproportioned (not a midget though) and was at traffic school with a Range Rover, keys in hand. I remember making the remark "Funny how these things happen. I'm tall, and you're all short." Maura finds this amusing and explodes with laughter. She invites me to hang out, because the traffic school doubles as her house.
We talk, she tells me about the city of Brooklyn and also how she had a good friend commit suicide recently, and she's clearly she's not over her. The deceased girl's room is in this strange basement area, down some stairs. I walk near it, and immediately get the chills and feel the essence of that person, so extreme I can hear her voice in my head and it's as if I can see her soul floating in front of me. The soul/ghost essence begins badgering me about my life, and her voice is booming and surreal. It's overwhelming and I freak out. My old friend keeps talking about this girl, nearly in tears the whole time. I remember thinking it's almost an obsession, but I understand that this girl truly cared about her friend that had died. I notice the way she's communicating is very strange, and detached, almost like she has a very flat affect, or she's schizophrenic or autistic. It's distracting, and I remember struggling with it the whole time, but keeping utter attention.
Suddenly this massive area in the ceiling and wall opens up like a camera shutter, revealing a crisp, deep blue body of water. There are seals dancing and swimming the in water. The opening must be over three stories tall and wide. I am standing on a balcony looking out at the open area (the second story), and downstairs (1st story) in a foyer type area my friend is sitting on a small, child's bed. Maura tells me this is all she has sometimes, and jumps in the water. I remember feeling extremely uneasy, like she was going to drown or something. There's a ladder attached to the building and she eventually climbs back up, totally dry even though she had just jumped into the ocean. This whole time I remember feeling extremely uneasy, like I was going to die at any second. Maura continues to talk about how Brooklyn and this water is all she has. She urges me to jump into the water. "But how will I get out?" I remember asking. Calmly, but still detached, Maura reassures me, "There's two ladders," and again, "Sometimes, this is all I have."
Eventually I decide I have to leave, without ever jumping in the water. Upon leaving this strange building (with my friend escorting me out), it starts blizzarding extremely hard as soon as I step foot outdoors, with snowflakes blowing in hard and sideways. "Oh, look at that," I remark. I remember being surprised since we had just be looking out at the ocean and the weather was ethereal, clear and warm. I give my friend a half-hug from the side and squeeze her fairly hard and tell her "It was nice to see you. Really, it was. Thank you," as if she had truly opened up to me and the things she told me held some strange importance. She smiles, but doesn't say anything. It appears that the hug makes her uncomfortable. I let go and meet up with my parents outside the building, in front of a row of a million vending machines. There's candy/food/drinks in some, but another one is meant to be pushed if you're an out-of-towner and need to regulate the barometric pressure of the entire area so you can be more comfortable (?). We change the pressure just fine but my mother decided she wants a Snickers. As we're waiting for the Snickers to vend, all I can focus on is my old redheaded friend, and the word "Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Brooklyn," repeats in my head with her voice. I'm very uneasy still, clearly shaky and anxiety-ridden. I am silent.
The god damn Snickers is taking 10-15 minutes, and there's a few people around us getting impatient and giving us unfriendly looks, but other than that it's silent. Just snowing. Eventually, my mother remarks, "Well, this is taking a god awful, long ass---" and the dream ends.
I know this seems unimportant and scattered, but when I woke up from this dream I felt my mind had been blown. I kept thinking "Oh my God, holy shit, oh my God, what the fuck just happened in my mind?" And needed to write it down immediately. I can already feel the details of the dream dissolving into obscurity.
I'm glad I wrote this down. But I don't know what to make of it. Dream Me was totally awe-struck by the audacity of this Maura girl and the things she was telling me.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment