Ellen Burstyn and Jared Leto are both fantastic, and this is by far my favorite scene in Requiem. Yes, I watched it again. It has the same effect on me as it did the first time I watched it. Again, the artistry in this film is beyond brilliant. It's genius. I've never had such an emotional connection to a movie before.
Ellen's monologue in this scene is brilliant, and she reminds me of my own grandmother, which is really depressing, but quite intriguing at the same time.
Posting some of my writing later. I might continue posting scenes from this movie as I feel like it, based on my current emotional state. I can relate to mostly everything from this film. Jennifer Connelly has some amazing scenes as well. Her performance gives me chills.
[Harry turns around, confused, trying to determine where the sound he hears is coming from. He looks at his mother, who is smiling and grinding her jaw around.]
-"Ma, you on uppers?"
'What?'
-"You're on uppers."
'What?'
-"You're on diet pills, ain't you?!"
'I told you, I'm going to a specialist.'
-"That's what I thought! You on speed, ain'tcha?"
'Harry, are you alright? I'm going to a doctor!'
-"What does he give you, ma, does he give you pills?"
'Of course he gives me pills! He's a doctor!'
-"What kinda pills?"
'Oh, a purple one, a blue one, an orange one...'
-"I mean like, what's in 'em?"
'Oh, Harry, I'm Sara Goldfarb, not Albert Einstein. How should I know what's in 'em.'
-"Does this stuff make you feel good sorta, and give you lots a pep?"
'Well, yeah, a little.'
-"A little?! Ma, I can hear you grinding your teeth from here!"
'Oh, but that goes away at night.'
-"At night?"
'Yeah, when I take the green one! Thirty minutes, I'm asleep. Poof. Just like that.'
-"Ma, you gotta cut that stuff loose. I'm tellin' you, it's no good."
'What do you mean it's no good? Twenty-five pounds I've lost!'
-"Big deal, so what? You wanna be a dope fiend, for Christ's sake?!"
'Whaddya mean, dope fiend? Am I foaming at the mouth or something? He's a nice doctor!'
-"I'm tellin' you, that crook is no good."
'How come you know so much? How do you know more about medicine than a doctor?'
-"Believe me, ma, I know, alright?...You'll get strung out for Christ's sake."
'Oh, come on! I almost fit in my red dress! The one I wore to your high school graduation. The one your father liked so much...ohh, I remember how he looked at me in that red dress...'
-"Ma, what's the big deal about the red dress?"
'Well, I'm gonna wear it on---oh, you don't know! I'm gonna be on television! I got a call and an application!'
-"Come on, ma, who's pulling your leg?"
'No, no, no, I'm going to be a contestant on television! I don't know when, yet, though. They haven't told me when yet. But you'll see how proud you are when you see your mother in the red dress on television, with the golden shoes...'
-"What's the big deal about being on television? Those pills you're takin'll kill you before you ever get on for Christ's sake."
'Big deal? You drove up here in a cab. Did you see who had the best seat in the sun out front? I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us...remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, fit in the red dress...it's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow alright. What have I got, Harry? Hmm? Why should I even make the bed or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old...'
-"You got friends, ma."
'Ah, well. It's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress, and the television, and you, and your father...Now when I look at the sun, I smile.'
-"I'll come and visit, ma. Now that I'm straight and business is goin' good, I'll come. Me and Marian, we'll come for dinner."
'Yeah, yeah, you bring her. I'll make a mushroom soup, and a roast...'
-"That sounds great, ma. That sounds great. I'll give you a call ahead of time, alright?"
'Harry, I'm...I'm glad you have a nice girl and a business and...I'm glad.'
[Harry and Sara embrace]
-"I gotta go, ma. I got an appointment in Manhattan pretty soon. But I'll be back."
'Okay, okay, you still got your key?'
-"Yeah, I got it, ma."
[Harry exits, the door closes. Sara remains for a moment, standing and looking at the door.]
'Bye, son.'
[cut to Harry riding in a cab. He begins to sob uncontrollably.]
------------------------------------------
I love the shit out of this. The end.
Yep. Mooooore media. More useless media absorption and ramblingsssssszzzzzzzzzzzzz. Blah.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment